The complete text of THE FABULIST and all related materials featured on this site are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. This means that you are free to reproduce, modify or produce derivative versions of THE FABULIST, including for commercial purposes, provided that you follow certain standards.
Those standards are as follows:
- You must attribute the work to me, using my name (for derivative works, something like "Based on an original work by..." would be appropriate) and linking back to www.findthefabulist.com.
- You must release your own work under a CC BY-SA license as well.
Small things, right? And in exchange, you can take THE FABULIST and do pretty much whatever you want with it, including (but not limited to):
- Editing, abridging, expanding, or translating the text;
- Publishing the text serially - in part or in full, including derivative versions - in print or online;
- Using characters, locations, dialogue, plot points, or other story elements in your own works;
- Creating films, videos, audio dramas, video games, or other adaptations of the original or derivative works;
- Distributing the work in any format, for profit or freely.
...And all you have to do is mention my name and the website and use the above license. You do not have to pay me royalties or licensing fees, though I wouldn't say no to money. You do not have to seek my permission, though I would like you to give me a head's up if you are using it. Do as you please and spread it far.
Why would I do this? I want this story to be read. THE FABULIST is a work almost seven years in the making. I spent all that time because I believe it is a beautiful story, the one that I kept working on because I truly believed in it. I was wrong. The publishing industry simply does not see any value in THE FABULIST and I don't have the energy to try for the hard sell on my own.
This is my compromise. I want the world to read THE FABULIST but I have no idea how to make money off it. If you think you know how to turn a profit off of the legend of Storyteller, please do so. I only ask for the credit.